Sunday, August 19, 2018

Reference or Ripoff: "Mech Suits Me" (Sonic Boom)

Yet another Sonic Boom Episode.

"Mech Suits Me"


Sonic & crew find an old "suit" that Sonic immediately loves. Unfortunately for his friends, it takes over his personality.

Conclusion: Reference


The beginning was clearly playing out Predator, even calling the game "jungle predator."

Heat Vision

At first, when Sonic was attacking Eggman, I though that the mech was fueling Sonic's negative emotions like some of his past transformations--Evil Super Sonic (Sonic the Comic), Dark Sonic (Sonic X), Darkspine Sonic (Sonic and the Secret Rings), or even Sonic the Werehog (Sonic Unleashed).

IT'S BETTER THAN ANYTHING TAILS COULD EVER INVENT, AM I RIGHT?

Afterwards it soon became clear that they were aiming for something else. That's right, Spiderman 3.
Sonic acts rude to the locals, acts "friendly" with the twins (Perci and Staci)--in front of Amy, and is a jerk to his closest friends. And all this happens with music suspiciously similar to what it plays when Peter goes around New York...
 
No one can think "Spiderman 3" without it. 

To see what I'm taking about, here is the episode (5:22) and, in case you've forgotten, that part from Spiderman 3.


Then Tails gets into how it's a "symbiotic technology" which defiantly rings a bell (with the "venom" symbiote). Of course Sonic doesn't listen and his friends have to save him.

Moving on!

Quotes:

Amy: "Studios should stop recycling the same, tried old property and make something original for once."

  • A number of possibilities, here. The fact that a lot of movies and shows nowadays are reboots or remakes, that Sonic Boom is the 5th Sonic cartoon, or simply that they were reenacting predator.   


Eggman: "200 and 50 channels and finally something interesting to watch! Well aside from that guy who goes to failing restaurants and yells at everybody. Love that guy."

  • Clearly Chef Ramsey and Kitchen Nightmares, or his more recent show, 24 Hours to Hell and Back. I'd have to check the air dates. 


Sonic: "I like it better with my feet on the ground."

  • Sonic says something similar in Sonic X: "Space is fine, but I like my feet on the ground." 


Oh I remember the twins alright--[AMY'S PISSED LOOK]--I-I mean I remember how much I disliked them!

The references combined with the dialogue makes this a really funny episode (if you can get over how ugly the Mech is). Not bad, Sonic Boom. Not bad.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment