Sunday, May 19, 2019

Sonic 06 is Better than Colors (Part 5.3)

Part 5.3--The Music


All Sonic games are praised for their music. There's something for everyone, whether it's an edgy theme song or a soft background beat.

COLORS


Let's start of with Colors for once. The level music is intone with their respective levels, and each have a flavor fresh to the game: unique.

Some Tracks
Tropical Resort (Act 1)
Sweet Mountain (Act 2) 
Asteroid Coaster (1)

Everything seems to have a light and airy tone at the center of it, looping everything back to it's setting. An interstellar amusement park. It's good. A little annoying if you die often (repeating the start), but the music it's self is pretty good.

Some of the tracks are similar to Unleashed or Rush (in a good way not a copy-way).


Even Planet Wisp, which I HATE, has some pretty good music (later ruined by over-play in Sonic Generations *cringe*).

Now here's where Sonic Colors goes...weak.

Reach For the Stars

The best I can call it is okay. It starts with a overly happy tone that never leaves. Fine. Then the singing is...I don't know, fake sounding. That's not an insult at the genre. There certainly have been plenty of good songs with a more "modern" sound to them. But the singer is...unenthusiastic?

And those lyrics--"The colors feel so right"--WTF?

The best part is the ending (no, really) because of it's soft outing.


To me, it seems like a crappy, half-asXed attempt at copying "Endless Possibilities" (once again encroaching on the success of Sonic Unleashed).

Colors got away from the typical style, too. Traditionally modern games featured a theme by Crush 40 (the exception being Unleahsed, handhelds, and spin-offs). Colors? Nada.


I found that the Song is actually by Cash Cash; they would go on to do good work in Generations and they helped bring us a good Sonic CD cover, but this song still sucks.

This isn't official, but I blame Colors for the lame themes we'd have until "Fist Bump." And for the Crush 40 gap of 10 years (I know, they did covers and "Sonic Youth")

Compared to past Sonic music, it sucks.


And here is Color's ending theme, Speak with Your Heart (I think--it's been so long since I beat the game and all I remember is Sonic jumping around the credits).

It's better, the lyrics actually make sense and it's a cute good bye to Yacker. Too bad I hate Yacker. CHIP WAS BETTER YOU SPxRMY LITTLE ALIEN!!!

The song's catchy, but it's super robotic. I guess one could argue it's Yacker through the translator or something (even though Tails' was pretty much talking for Yacker most of the game). I just think it would have sounded better a bit less robotic.
EDIT: So much auto-tune ;)

So it's nice but I do prefer THIS.

...Kay, this is getting kind of long, so I'm splitting Part 5 Up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment