Monday, January 27, 2020

Underground is better than Sat-Am (Intro)

Last year I defended the most hated Sonic game, Sonic 2006, against what should be the most hated Sonic game (but is instead overpraised)--Sonic Colors. I've been thinking about what to do this year...

This is one of the results.

If I ranked all the Sonic cartoons, Sonic Underground, Sonic X, and Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, would all be above AM and Boom. Now, I admit I grew up with those three, so I'm more attached to them. But it seems like most of the "Saturday Morning" fans have the same type of biased themselves. I've seen 97% of all Sonic episodes (of all the cartoons) at least once in my life time (yes that includes Boom), so at least I can say I've given (all) the series a chance (at some point).


I don't hate Sonic (Sat Am) at all, but I do think it's overrated. People always compare it to AoStH, saying how it was more "serious" and "darker themed." AoStH is adventure-comedy, so of course AM is going to "look" serious--it's a distopian series. Robotnik already took over! But does it live up to the hype? Sure, it got "2 Seasons," but it also had the least amount of episodes (compared to the other 4 shows).


Another reason for the show's lasting popularity is the Archie Comics, which featured many of the same main characters. This introduced some people to the show and vise-versa. However, many hard-core AM fans claim there's a difference and that the comics shouldn't be considered a continuation of the show. Yeah, there's a difference. The comics got years to develop their characters and plot. Seesh.

Really, I've always been annoyed with that type of comment because even if the story wasn't what was planned, they did get to see their favorite characters live on for years. Meanwhile, the characters of Sonic Underground were mostly abandoned except for one comic, one cameo, and fan art.   

Or, uh, cameo fan art. 

That's one of the reasons I've paired "Sat Am" up with "Underground." I could have shown how Sonic X stayed close to the games' universe while balancing a large cast or how "Adventures" portrayed Sonic nearly perfect through out and kept Tails in the spotlight, too. But I've always felt Sonic Underground was underrated.


Or over-hated. I never understood why so many people have it out for the series (except for Tails fans, I get that). Some of the songs could defiantly be annoying, but if it got to the point of anger, why not just hit the mute button?

Although the music didn't help their case, I feel like a lot of people don't like Undergound simply because they wanted a revival of Sat Am. It's something that seems silly to me since both series had been cancelled before I ever watched them.


It's even sillier considering how Underground kept AM's distopic themes. One would think due to the similarities, if SatAm fans liked any other cartoons, they'd like Undergound. Nope. Not with most of them, anyway. I don't think they're as stubborn or argumentative as some of the comic fans, but it seems like a close battle.


And to counter-act them, there's me. I truly believe that Sonic Underground was a better show than Sonic the Hedgehog (Sat Am), AND now I'm gonna' prove it!

"I'm better."
Hey...That's my line!

That's my line.
Sorry I couldn't help the references >:)
(Sonic Rivals and obviously Sonic Underground)

No comments:

Post a Comment