Saturday, April 22, 2017

Sonic 06-Beta Opening VS Released

Hi-ya guys.
Everyone knows that a lot of things planned for 06 never made it in, but the beta opening is a pretty interesting case. If you ever looked up old trailers for the game, you may have noticed that Elise had a different voice actor (the change to her official voice actor was never explained). This was from the beta version. I've linked in the two so that it will be easier to compare the differences (they aren't my own videos so a special thanks to the youtubers that have them posted out there):  
 
Game opening:
 
 
Beta opening:
 
 
So, before I throw my opinion out there, let's go over the main differences:
 
 
Beta Opening
 
 
1. Music-from the beginning you can tell the lack of music in the beta, but later there are different music themes as well.
 
2. Sound effects-different and similar sounds. Note the lack of people screaming and other effects in the beta, and how the music in the actual game tends to cover over the sounds.
 
3. Extra and Missing scenes-there are extra scenes of the boat/girls dancing in the beta, and I think they are (cleverly) reused in the last cutscene. The beta does not have the scene where Elise sees Soleanna ruined by Iblis.
 
4. Elise has a different voice actor-Veronica Taylor voiced her in the beta and Lacey Chabert in the game.
 
 5. "I'm Sonic!"-in the game he says, "I'm Sonic! Sonic the Hedgehog!" In the beta he simply says, "I'm Sonic!" (Did anyone else find that hilarious? No? Just me? Okay).



Okay. So...opinions...

Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 actual opening

1. First off, I think the music it plays for Sonic when he steps in is better in the beta. It's much more energetic-much more Sonic (as for why neither had His World-that's beyond me). The second thing that comes to mind is Eggman's theme. It's more intense in the beta, and heightens the moment, but the one in the game is king. This is because it is Eggman's theme through out the game (and still used today). Although the beta's music was appropriate for the moment, I can't imagine it as Eggman's theme. Now the hard part-the music before all that. The beta's highlights mystery and nervous excitement, and at first the game's music strikes me as lame. But as the boat nears its destination, the music becomes much better, giving the listener a sense of positive excitement, joy, and importance. They both fit, but I have to say the in game one's better here. As for the music when Elise looks at the flames...they are very similar (I thought they were the same at first) and give the panic of to moment, but I think the beta's better. It's just a bit more intense. I do like the "roar" of Iblis in the game's, but that counts as sound effects...

2. Wow. Can I first admire how much I've written so far for a moment? Wow. Okay, so sound effects. As a whole, they sound better in the beta expect for the missing effects (lighting the fire, Sonic's shoes, Silver's glove-all silent) and the audience (cheers and screams). Okay-I guess that means the beta has better fireworks and the game has better everything else.      

3. I am completely unaffected by what was added/taken. Since those scenes (mentioned above) where in the last cutscene, I don't mind there removal. The Iblis scene-truth is I don't care. The beta gives the mystery-what does she see/feel/hear (because of her connection with the monster), and the game directly hints at other events and shows that she has a relation to the flames (of disaster). Not to mention it's a reminder of Judgment Day ("hasta la vista, baby").

<So I checked the last cutscene and the scene I thought they reused is actually different, but it doesn't really matter since it's so similar. I wonder why they took it out, though>

4. Boy. This one's hard. There is something likeable about each-I don't instantly hate either of them. Chabert sounds more feminine, and this makes Elise more like a princess: lady-like, polite, and proper (Chabert, assuring-"It...It's all right." Taylor, answering-"It-It's all right."). Taylor in comparison, though, seems more emotional and excited ( Taylor, shock-"you?!...It can't BE!" Chabert, disbelief-"you?...it can't be..."). Her tone also gives Elise princess qualities-like a leader. Toward the end, Chabert had a more realistic scream. Making a decision is hard in this category-and I have to try and ignore the rest of the game's events (because they were voiced by Chabert). Playing the game, I thought she sounded fine in the cutscenes, but too young or girly in Dust Desert and Tropical Jungle. See! it's distracting-I'm not judging her work as a whole-just Chabert vs Taylor. It's hard to imagine the game with  Taylor instead-how would that affect the game-improve it? Make it worse? At this point I think it wouldn't have affected it too much-both are good voice actors, and how Elise acts is still determined by the script. Forced to make the choice, I'd say that while I like Taylor's version, but I must admit that Chabert's fits Elise better.    

5. I'm too used to him adding "Sonic the Hedgehog," and therefore too biased to say if it's good or bad. Some people have criticized him for saying that ("Really? You look like Sonic the Crocodile!") but considering that he's constantly being called other things ( a cat, a rat, a fast-food chain...) I really don't blame him.


Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 on the right and it's Beta on the left.


So. Which is better? I have not chosen a personal favorite, but based on what I've looked at so far, I believe the in game version is best*. The beta was still in the works-why they changed what they did is a mystery, but in most cases it looks like change is good. Let me know what you think in the comments, and if you noticed any more differences.

-See ya!

Sonic the Hedgehog


*There is a difference between what one thinks is their favorite, and what one thinks is the best. For example, one's favorite Sonic game is Sonic 06, they'd have to admit that it's not the best Sonic game they've played (unless they were super stubborn or they only played Sonic's School House and Sonic Colors on Wii-because then 06 would be best). Here's another example-maybe the best book you've read is Heart of Darkness because it has plot, characters, and literary merit. But your favorite book is Beautiful Darkness because it's actually good. Do you see what I mean? 

Well that's quite the analysis there. 😲 😝     

No comments:

Post a Comment