Friday, March 13, 2020

The Maria Mystery: Final Words

One of the most common elements since Maria's debut is her last words. Although they all seem to have the same message, their existence further adds to the mystery...

Quoted References


Sonic Adventure 2 (Released Jun 2001)



"Shadow I beg of you, please do it for me... for a better future! For all the people who live on that planet...give them a chance to be happy...

"Let them live for their dreams. Shadow, I know you can do it. That's the reason why you were brought into this world.

"Sayonara, Shadow the Hedgehog"

Archie Comics (Issue 98, Released Sep 2001)


"Keep going, Shadow! I'm right behind you! We're almost there! I'll jump in as soon as you clear the hatch! UNGH!"

In 2007 Maria was able to give her request as a hologram: "You have to go and protect everyone now. And you'll always have me...[if you hold me in you heart]."


Sonic X (Japanese) (Released Dec 2003)



First Memory:

"I beg you...Shadow...Please, do it for me...for all of the people who are living on that planet...[inaudible] Adios, Shadow the Hedgehog."


Second Memory:

"I beg you, Shadow...You'll have to take my place in the future. Everyone who lives on that planet...give them a chance, and they will live very blessed lives.

Then our wish will be realized. You were created just for that cause. The one who will watch over and protect us...just like a shadow."

Sonic Battle (Released Jan 2004)


"Bring hope to humanity."

The quote came from the Professor's Journal, "They tell me her parting words were 'Bring hope to Humanity.'" This suggests it was heard by a GUN soldier or someone else aboard the Ark.

Sonic X (English Dub) (Released Dec 2004)



First Memory:

"Listen Shadow, I want you to promise me...please...whatever happens remember I'll always be your friend, Shadow. We always talked about going to visit the planet one day...but it looks like you'll have to go there with out me. Sayonara, Shadow the Hedgehog."


Second Memory:

"Shadow, please promise me...That you'll help people...and be...friends with them...I'm sure you'll be very happy down there, Shadow. I only wish that I could go along with you.

"The world looks so beautiful from up here in space...but my Grandfather says the people who live there have to face many problems. That's why you were created. To help those people. And...to be their friend."   

Shadow the Hedgehog (Released Nov 2005)


"Please, Shadow...I need your help! Everyone's fate depends on...YOU."

Maria also expressed that Shadow would protect the planet while appearing on an old video created before her death. 

Conclusion


I always found "Maria's promise" as one of the deepest points of the Sonic series as a whole. Here is a young girl, close to death, asking for hope and happiness...not revenge.

Which Sonic X adaption is more accurate to SA2? 

I think they're both fairly accurate. The original is worded closer to the games (as you can see), and adds a bit about Shadow's name. The dub adds more about wanting to visit the planet. The main message is the same, though.

So, what are her last words? 

Her last wish is for Shadow to save/help the world. Her specific last words to him were "Sayonara, Shadow the Hedgehog." Her very last words were "Bring hope to humanity."

Yikes, how many times did she die?!

She only died once in the games; Shadow doesn't remember it correctly.

Anyways, from what I've found, Maria's wish was actually the same through out, just worded differently. Except for that awful inaccurate original Archie appearance.


No comments:

Post a Comment