Monday, October 19, 2020

Sonic Drift Review


Summary


I like the art for this game so much better than I like the game. 


Gameplay



It plays similar to Sega racing games/other racing games of the time, with the addition of some Sonic elements like the item box (TV) and the spring. 

As with those other games, the main goal is less of trying to get in front and more of trying to stay on the road, as the grass and rows of obstacles will cause a drastic slow-down.

Apparently hitting another car will also cause a slow down. These combined with the AI...and there's not really a good way to win. 

There are different circuits, but they are the same locations. 

 

Levels and Characters



The levels are straight out of Sonic 1, but have different music. Not as good quality, not as likable. Though invincibility is yet another "Toot Toot Sonic Warrior" remix. I recognize the visual similarities in the background, but the road and the area itself are very crude. 

I do like the expressions of the characters when they win/lose. Sonic, Tails, Amy, and Eggman are all playable. I like Sonic's flashy red car--it might match his personality better than his later blue one. Amy's car is creepy because apparently it's alive. Tails is kinda' retro--setting a trend? Eggman just rides his mobile.

As I mentioned I like the art, but even though each character has an advantage/weakness, it does not seem to make a difference who is used...none seem that helpful. 

 

Final Thoughts



I got access to this through the Mega Collection. In the 90s it was only in Japan, though Sonic Drift 2 would make to the US.

For a long time I thought the episode "The Mobuis 5000" of AoStH was made to kind of loosely tie-in to this before realizing that this came out in 1994 and Drift 2 in 95, so that's actually not possible (AoStH aired in 1993). AoStH did it first!

For being previously Japan-exclusive there's plenty of English.

I really prefer the riders series and the idea of "extreme gear." Hover boards, skates, bikes, yachts...less cliche and way cooler than any version of Mario Kart. 

Seeing this, it's hard to understand why anyone would complain about Team Sonic Racing. Say what you will about the modern era, it would be hard not to improve over this. 


Final Ranking: E


It's not exactly unplayable. You can try and play it...but why? 

I love the art and while I don't...hate the game, it would probably be in my top ten worst. 

No comments:

Post a Comment