Monday, February 10, 2020

Sonicomics: "Sand, Spirits, and Sonic Speed" (Sonic and the Secret Rings)

"Did you know? Secret Rings was released exclusively for Nintendo Wii." You don't say!

When I first heard about the "exclusive" comic with certain SatSR copies, I knew I wanted it. I don't know if I knew much about the comics back then...I just thought it would be a continuation of the game (the ending mentions Sonic having "many adventures" before going home). Either that or Sally or someone scolding Sonic and telling him to stay home and read a book (because of his cold).

Since then I realized neither would be the case, and figured it would probably just be an adaptation of the first cutscene. Surprisingly, it's not.


We get a nice description instead of the abrupt "in another" greeting other adaptations have gotten. The art is disappointing. It's not too bad, but it doesn't blend well with the SatSR style and it's nothing to write home about. The backgrounds seen pretty dark, too. The Storybook Series was done very well visually and the comics can't seem to replicate that. Sharah looks off sometimes, and the Erazor looks hilarious.

Sonic and Sharah bond a little while explaining things a bit. The fact that Sonic mentions Fang tells me the whole "in another" dimension plan wasn't a thing yet. Still, he doesn't mention the Freedom Fighters, so maybe not...

It's nice to have Sonic and Sharah just talk. It's similar to a cutscene, and it fits in before Pirate Storm (as made clear by the end).

Score (S is good, E is bad): B-


It's nice but I find all the re-caping unnecessary. It originally only came with the game, so whoever got it either knew that all already or would very soon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment