Friday, March 12, 2021

Sonic Colors OST Review


Summary


I don't like Sonic Colors very much, but I though the music was good. I thought wrong. 


Okay, that's not fair. Half of this OST is really good. There's some epic orchestra-type of music that makes me wish the game went with more of a Star Trek/Wars story. There's some nice synthetic-driven ones, some good piano. Really good guitar eventually. 

The other half...ouch. Many of the levels are so artificial/2010. 100% 2010. It has not aged well. The adventure series, yeah, you could guess it was around the 90s-2000s, same for other games. But this one is SO obviously hopping on the feel-good floaty-remix type of sound that it hurts. It's more 2010 than Sonic is is 90s.

While some of the tracks have managed to age better, a lot of it also feels like a rip-off of Sonic Unleashed. The World Map. The music for the second half of the final battle. Having a closing song dedicated to some cute little friend. If it was not intentional on the composers part, it was Sega's intention when hiring them.  

Also, like the levels themselves, the tunes get tiresome after listening to them 3 slightly different times. I think they were trying too hard, maybe to try to out-due Sonic Unleashed, and the result kinda' hurt.  


Best Song: Asteroid Coaster (area)

Runner-Up (s): Asteroid Coaster Acts 1-3, Aquarium Park Act 1, Planet Wisp Act 1, Tropical Resort Act 3, Sweet Mountain Act 1-2, Vs Jelly, Vs Orcan/etc, Nega Wisp Armor, Options, World Map, Terminal Velocity 

Finally something that sounds like Shad-I mean Sonic. Sonic. This edgy little piece is a pretty satisfying blend of the game's different themes. There's a more dramatic part, addictive snapping, synth/gutair combos...I was quite impressed. 


Worst Song: Starlight Carnival Act 1

Runner Up (s): Yellow Drill, Orange Rocket, Purple Frenzy, Tropical Resort Act 2, Starlight Carnival Act 3, Starlight Carnival (area), Aquarium Park (area), Planet Wisp (area), Robots Lost and Found, half of Game Land

Annoyingly higher pitched and not as catchy as, for example, Aquarium park (in which case the annoying-ness is forgiven). Quickly becomes repetitive.  


Best Vocal Song: Speak With Your Heart

Runner-Up (s): N/a

I thought this was kinda' crap because of how robotic it is (still has not aged well), but I was surprised that as it got going I found it likable. It's happy, up-lifting, yet kinda' sad at the same time. The claps make it catchy, and the guitar helps. 


Worst Vocal Song: Reach for the Stars

Runner Up (s): N/a

This actually made me gag. No joke, that's never happened before, but my, my, my...

The...the...it sounds positive. But instead of finding it's "own way," it finds the way of pop music of the time.  

Look, I don't mind music from then, I mean, I lived through it, like songs in this type of style, but combined with the "the colors feel so right" and...I don't know, it seems more like a theme for Silver. Maybe I would not mind it as much then, but since it's become the Sonic national anthem in every game since this one, I. CAN'T. STAND IT.  


Final Ranking: C


It's overrated, frankly, but I actually like Sonic Color's OST a lot better than the game itself. If it was not for some overly positive, 2010-screaming songs, I'd give it a higher rank. 

No comments:

Post a Comment