Monday, April 26, 2021

Sonic and Knuckles OST Review

  


Summary


I remembered the music of Sonic and Knuckles fondly. Lava Reef! Sandopolis! Death Egg! Even Mushroom Hill! Flying Battery and Sky Sanctuary were overrated, but good. Well Flying Battery, anyway.  

I've realized, though, that these songs just weren't made for headphones. Ones that I usually enjoyed in game like Sandopolis were annoying. And the main theme, ouch. No wonder people are praising Mania's garbage music, they crave the classics but use head phones! 


As a side note, with the exception of Lava Reef the acts don't seem very different from one another (unlike Sonic 3?).  


Best Song:  Lava Reef Act 1

Runner-Up (s): Lava Reef 2, Sandopolis 1, Flying Battery 1, Death Egg 1, Mushroom Hill 1/2, Credits, theme of Knux

Was there even any other choice? I don't care if it steals from an 80s song, it's a Sonic classic!

While 3 had Ice Cap, &K had this memorable, addictive synth-friendly song that made a difficult level as fun as possible.  


Worst Song: Sky Sanctuary

Runner Up (s): Title, Invincible, Ending

MAKE IT STOP. It's loud, high, annoying, harsh. Best thing is the dramatic drums. I hate to say it, but the crappy Generations version was somehow better. With this music and the fairly boring level design, I have no idea why it's a fan-favorite.  

 

Final Ranking: C


What can I say? It was not nearly as good as I remembered. Previously I didn't really think Sonic 3 was that much better, but I was wrong. Take out Lava Reef and it is pretty average. 

It has it's moments, but I'd rank it below Sonic 1, 2, and 3. 

No comments:

Post a Comment