Friday, April 23, 2021

Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal OST Review


Summary


Sonic Boom has been called the worst game since 06, or worse than 06. Since I'm in the rare club that doesn't think 06 is that bad, I try not to judge Boom since I've never played it. However based on the redesigns, plot, voice acting, and, I'll admit it, reception, I've generally tried to stay away. 

Shattered Crystal was the handled alternate to "Rise of Lyric." This is another Richard Jacques composed game, and as such there are some similarities to previous. The early, "Sea" locations and Worm Tunnel defiantly have that up-beat All-Stars Transformed vibe. A lot actually seem like the Saturn version of Volcano Valley--dramatic, heroic, explorer-ish, etc. 

Generally I found this OST to be a surprise because most of the tracks actually seem rather dark/ominous. After seeing the TV show I was expecting something more childish and whimsical, but generally it was a lot more serious than expected. 

However, the tracks seem really short/repetitive. I can understand why fans might get bored with the slower tracks. Aside from Air Fortress 2, Robot Facility, and some of those Sea ones, I wouldn't care to listen to extended versions.  


Best Song: Robot Facility

Runner-Up (s): Air Fortress 2, Seaside Coast Map, Seaside Beach 1/2, VS Sticks, Worm Tunnel, Scrapyard 1, Volcanic Caverns 2

Blown away. Easily my favorite out of all of this for it's dark, industrial sound. It really reminds me of The Terminator, which is not what I was expecting from this game at all. Amazed.   


Worst Song: Main Menu

Runner Up (s): Seaside Jungle 2, Shadow Canyons 1/2, Ancient City 1/2 Air Fortress 1, Lyric's Air Ship

Apparently this is the theme in Rise of Lyric, too. If this were cutscene music or something, it would be okay. But as a main theme it...it's not Sonic. I try not to say that with things, because Sonic music goes through all kinds of genres and sounds! But this is...Pirate Batman.   

 

Final Ranking: D

It's a shame this OST has a bad name because of the Boom legacy, but it's not too shabby. Robot Facility 1 and Air Fortress 2!!! 

Again, though, there's not much to the tracks. Also it's pretty slow-paced for a Sonic game, which would probably throw people off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment